What is MPOD
Macular pigment is comprised of zeaxanthin and lutein, which are found in the center of the macula (fovea) at a natural 2:1 ratio. MPOD (Macular Pigment Optical Density) is important for three specific reasons:
1. Low macular pigment is a key risk factor for age-related eye health issues, the leading cause of significant vision loss over age 55
2. Macular pigment absorbs harmful blue light, protecting the photo-receptors from damage
3. Macular pigment improves visual performance, including:
- Visual acuity – ability to see clearly, especially in fine detail situations like needlepoint or reading in low light situations
- Contrast sensitivity – ability to discern objects from their background (i.e. seeing a white golf ball or baseball clearly against a light blue sky)
- Light sensitivity– visual discomfort in sunlight or when exposed to bright light
- Glare recovery – recovery from temporary “blindness” caused by high intensity lighting, such as automobiles or stadium lights
Did you know that 78 percent of the U.S. population has less than optimal macular pigment? Healthy macular pigment acts as “internal sunglasses” to protect against harmful blue light that enters the eye and negatively impacts the visual cells responsible for central and peripheral vision.
Significant increases can be achieved through nutritional intake and supplements containing zeaxanthin and lutein. EyePromise Restore, one of our macular health formulas, replicates the natural 2:1 ratio of zeaxanthin to lutein found in a healthy fovea, as well as provides other essential vitamins and nutrients to support healthy vision.