Living a healthier life has become a goal for most people in the country. Society is making the conscious effort to eat better foods with more nutritional value, and the missing ingredients are being fulfilled with supplementation. An antioxidant that has been growing in popularity is coenzyme Q10 (CoQ10). CoQ10 offers several benefits for whole-body health that helps with energy production for cell growth and maintenance and the protection from harmful molecules. While the body produces the antioxidant naturally, the levels produced decrease with age.
CoQ10 can also be found in beef, soy oil, fish like sardines and mackerel, and peanuts. Though it is found in these sources and produced by the body, deficiencies can occur. CoQ10 protects the mitochondria, the powerhouse of the cells, and these are usually the first affected by health concerns. Individuals with diabetes, heart failure, and cancer have lower CoQ10 levels, and proactive supplementation can benefit those who have a risk of certain health issues.
There are several benefits that CoQ10 provides, including:
- Heart health
- Gum health
- Lowers fatigue and boosts stamina
- Empowers other antioxidants
- Blood glucose control
Eye Health Benefits
Eye health is a recently discovered benefit of CoQ10. As stated, the mitochondria are the first to be impacted by health concerns, and eye health is no different. Oxidation in the retina begins with defective mitochondria, and oxidative damage is what instigates the decline of vision, especially with age-related eye health concerns. Proactive supplementation can help those who are at risk for or have early age-related eye health issues support long-term eye health.
CoQ10 is an important nutrient for protecting eye and overall health. Because the production of this antioxidant slows down with age, it’s important for patients with a risk of age-related eye health issues to consume more CoQ10. An eye health supplement aimed at proactively reducing the risk of age-related eye health that includes CoQ10 can offer your patients the best chance at improving and maintaining their eye health.
For a simple, patient-friendly explanation of CoQ10 benefits, check out the infographic.
The new & improved EyePromise Restore now includes this important mitochondrial antioxidant. Learn more about the updated formula.
- Axe, Josh. “CoQ10: This Essential Compound Fights Aging, Heart Disease and Fires Up Your Cells’ Energy-Making Furnace.” Dr. Axe, Dr. Axe, 4 Dec. 2017, draxe.com/all-about-coq10/.
- Blasi M, A, Bovina C, Carella G, Genova M, L, Jansen A, M, A, Lenaz G, Brancato R, Does Coenzyme Q10 Play a Role in Opposing Oxidative Stress in Patients with Age-Related Macular Degeneration? Ophthalmologica 2001; 215:51-54
- “Coenzyme Q10.” Mayo Clinic, Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research, 13 Oct. 2017, mayoclinic.org/drugs-supplements-coenzyme-q10/art-20362602.
- Drake, Victoria J. “Coenzyme Q10.” Edited by Roland Stocker, Linus Pauling Institute, Linus Pauling Institute, 1 Jan. 2018, oregonstate.edu/mic/dietary-factors/coenzyme-Q10.
- Husney, Adam. “Coenzyme Q10 – Topic Overview.” WebMD, WebMD, 14 Nov. 2014, webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-failure/tc/coenzyme-q10-topic-overview#1.
- Juan Garrido-Maraver, Mario D. Cordero, Manuel Oropesa-Avila, Alejandro Fernandez Vega, Mario de la Mata, Ana Delgado Pavon, Elisabet Alcocer-Gomez, Carmen Perez Calero, Marina Villanueva Paz, Macarena Alanis, et al. “Clinical applications of coenzyme Q10”. Front Biosci (Landmark Ed) 2014; 19: 619–633. Published online 2014 Jan 1.
- Riazi-Esfahani, Mohammad, Baruch D. Kuppermann, and M. Cristina Kenney. “The Role of Mitochondria in AMD: Current Knowledge and Future Applications.” Journal of Ophthalmic & Vision Research 12.4 (2017): 424–428. PMC. Web. 15 Jan. 2018.
- Sears, Al. “Can CoQ10 Save Your Vision?” The Wellness Blog, US Wellness Meats, 29 Aug. 2013, grasslandbeef.com/bid/86548/Can-CoQ10-Save-Your-Vision